There are two streams:
The Business Innovation and Investment Program is designed to increase entrepreneurial talent and diversify business expertise in Australia. It is positioned to target migrants that have a demonstrated history of success in innovation, investment and business and are able to make a significant contribution to the national innovation system and to the Australian economy.
A. Significant Business History Stream (subclass 132)
Be under 55 years old
Business and personal assets of at least AUD 1,500,000
Main business should have an annual turnover of at least AUD 3,000,000
B. Venture Capital Entrepreneur Stream (subclass 132)
Receive venture capital funding of AUD 1,000,000 for:
the early-phase start-up of a business in Australia; or
the commercialization of a product in Australia; or
the development of a business in Australia; or
the expansion of a business in Australia
– Be under 55 years old
– For 2 out of 4 fiscal years immediately before you receive an invitation to apply, you must have had an ownership stake in 1 or 2 businesses that had at least:
– AUD750,000 turnover in each of those 2 years. Whether you have 1 or 2 businesses, you must own at least:
. 51%, of the total value of the business if the business has a turnover of less than AUD400,000 per year
. 30%, of the total value of the business if the business has a turnover of AUD400,000 or more per year, or
. 10%, of the total value of the business if the business is operated by a publicly listed company
– When you are invited to apply for this visa, you must have total net business and personal assets of at least:
AUD1,250,000, and must be available to transfer to Australia within 2 years of granting the visa.
(If your business provides professional, technical or trade services, you must have spent less than half your time providing those services, rather than general management of the business.)
– You must score at least 65 points on the points test.
– Be under 55 years old
– For at least 1 of the 5 fiscal years immediately before we invite you to apply, have directly managed one of the following:
. a qualifying business in which you had at least 10% ownership interest, or
. a eligible investment of at least AUD1.5 million owned by you.
– must have business and personal assets with a net value of at least AUD2.5 million for the 2 fiscal years immediately before
invited to apply and must be invested in the following proportions:
.at least AUD500,000 in venture capital and growth private equity funds which invest in start-ups and small private companies
.at least AUD750,000 in approved managed funds. The managed funds must invest in emerging companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
.a ‘balancing investment’ of at least AUD1.25 million in managed funds
(The managed funds can invest in a range of assets, including companies listed on the Australian stock exchange, Australian corporate bonds or notes, annuities and commercial real estate except direct investment in residential real estate.
. These assets must have been lawfully acquired and be available for transfer to Australia within 2 years of the visa being granted.
.must not use investments as security or collateral for a loan.
This VISA is only available to applicants who are nominated by an Australian State or Territory government. To be nominated, the applicant must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the SkillSelect system.
– Invest at least AUD5 million dollars in Commonwealth, State or Territory government bonds, or eligible investment funds.
– It must be invested in the following proportions:
. at least AUD1 million in venture capital and growth private equity funds which invest in start-ups and small private companies
. at least AUD1.5 million in approved managed funds. The managed funds must invest in emerging companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange
. a ‘balancing investment’ of at least AUD2.5 million in managed funds
– The managed funds can invest in a range of assets, including companies listed on the Australian stock exchange, Australian corporate bonds or notes, annuities and commercial real estate.
– Direct investment in residential real estate is prohibited. Indirect investment in residential property through managed funds is strictly limited.
– You must not use investments as security or collateral for a loan.
– No age limit
– you must also live in Australia for at least 40 days per year for the duration of your provisional visa. Or your spouse or de facto partner must live in Australia for at least 180 days per year for the duration of your provisional visa. These days do not need to be consecutive.
After you lodge your application, you must make a complying premium investment of at least AUD15 million in any of the following options:
– Australian securities exchange listed assets
– Australian government or semi-government bonds or notes
– corporate bonds or notes issued by an Australian exchange listed entity (or wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian listed entity), investment grade rated Australian corporate bonds or notes rated by an AFS licenced debt rating agency
– Australian proprietary limited companies that operate qualifying businesses (providing goods or services to the public with a profit-making intention, and not passive or speculative in nature)
– real property in Australia excluding residential property
– deferred annuities issued by Australian registered life companies
– state or territory government approved philanthropic contribution
*To be an eligible fund, a further requirement is that cash is to be no more than 20% of a fund’s net assets and derivatives are to be used for risk management purposes only.
*Premium investors may elect to make a portion or the entirety of their investment by way of a philanthropic donation (endorsed by a state or territory government.
– Be under 55 years old
– You must be undertaking, or proposing to undertake, a complying entrepreneur activity in Australia. You must have a genuine intention to continue this activity.
– A complying entrepreneur activity must relate to an innovative idea that will lead to:
. the commercialisation of a product or service in Australia, or
. the development of an enterprise or business in Australia
. This activity must not relate to any of the following categories: residential real estate, labour hire, purchase of an existing enterprise or a franchise in Australia
– If you were invited to apply for this visa, you must be endorsed by your nominating State or Territory government agency to develop your entrepreneurial concepts.
To check your eligibility, please contact Territory government agency:
. Australian Capital Territory
. New South Wales
. Northern Territory
. South Australia
. Western Australia